While I was away from the cemetery hunt, I went on my own mushroom hunt with Colin.... on foot and while biking.
On Sunday (biking from Salem to Lyme CT) and Tuesday (biking from Salem to Hartford CT today) we found Chicken of the Woods and a lot of Oysters and had a feast! We also went walking and found a beautiful hairy ruber cup, some crown tipped coral, white cheese, red russula, red-purplish russula, and a bunch of platterful mushrooms.
Let the season begin!
Also, we made Chicken of the Woods Pot Pie:
- sautee in butter: garlic, onions, chicken of the woods, parsley, dill, salt and pepper
- add a mix of flour and water to the sautee to thicken it (now you have gravy)
- in a separate pot, lightly boil carrots and potatoes
- combine everything in a pan and bake at 375 until the potatoes are soft
- add biscuits* to the top and cook for another 15 mins
- biscuits: combine 4 cups of flour, 2 t baking powder, 2 t baking soda, and 2 t salt together, then add 2 cups of kefir or buttermilk with a fork until the dough feels right. then plop it on top of the pan as a gravy soaked bread biscuit topping!